Strike & Shield: an overview
Quizizz now offers a new and exciting player vs player gameplay experience called Strike and Shield! With Strike, a student can strike down the score of another student. And with Shield, a student can protect their own score from being struck down.
Why enable Strike & Shield?
Stike and Shield is ideal for:
- Boosting engagement and increasing participation in activities
- Infusing healthy competition while remaining focused on the task at hand
- Improving class accuracy
- Transforming review and post-review activities
How does the Strike and Shield game mode work?
As students progress through the levels of a quiz by answering questions correctly, they get the option to use either Strike or Shield. Here’s what they do:
- Strike: Students can use Strike against any other student playing the quiz and deduct 200 from their score
- Shield: When a student deploys Shield, it protects their own score from one strike or until they reach the next level
Note that a player who chooses to Strike will not be able to see which of their classmates has activated a Shield.
How can the Strike & Shield game mode be enabled?
Strike and Shield is a game setting that is available only in the Classic mode for Live Quizzes. Here are the steps you can follow to enable it.
- Select the quiz you would like to host live
- Click on ‘Start a live quiz’ and select the ‘Classic’ option
- Click on the ‘Strike and Shield’ option to enable it
Customize the remaining game settings as you’d like, and click on ‘Continue’ to host the quiz live. Your students will now be able to use the Strike and Shield game mode while playing the quiz.
Here are some points to keep in mind while using this feature:
- Strike and Shield affect only game scores and do not impact accuracy points. To learn more about points and scores, refer to our article on Understanding How Accuracy Is Measured on Quizizz.
- Strike and Shield are in play only during the course of the quiz. A student who finishes the quiz cannot use or be affected by them.
- We make sure that the same player doesn’t get constantly targeted by their classmates through a new feature called 'Rebound Shield'. This shield activates when a student receives a disproportionate number of strikes as compared to their peers. In such cases, the strikes reflect back to the player who initiated them, and this function continues till the targeted player's number of strikes falls back to a balanced level.