Paper Mode is a Quizizz game mode that supports blended learning and classrooms without 1:1 personal devices for students.
All you need is one mobile phone, the Quizizz app, and a printer to print personalized QR codes for students.
Project the quiz questions on your computer, and scan student responses using the Quizizz mobile app.
Where can I find Paper Mode?
Paper mode is a live game mode.
- Go to any quiz you would like to play in the classroom
- Note: Paper mode only works for quizzes with MCQ questions, so if you have other question types in your quiz they will not show up during a Paper Mode game
- Select 'Start a live quiz'
- Paper mode will be available in the dropdown!
How does Paper Mode work?
- Every student gets a unique, printed, reusable Q-card
- This card consists of a specialized QR code. It is numbered so you can easily keep track of all your participants
- The four sides of the Q-Card are marked A, B, C, and D. These letters correspond to the four different answer options for a Multiple Choice Question
- When presented with a question, students rotate and display their Q-cards such that the correct answer option is on top
- The Q-cards are then scanned using your Quizizz mobile app to record student responses
How do I host a quiz in Paper Mode?
Download the Quizizz App
Select a Quiz to host
- You can create a new quiz or use your own existing quiz or one from the public library
- Click on Start a Live Quiz
- Select 'Paper Mode' from the drop-down menu
Click on the 'Print' button to access a PDF with printable Q-cards. The file contains 60 Q-cards, so it can support up to 60 participants per quiz
P.S. These Q-cards can be reused for every quiz that you host on Paper Mode!
You can allow Quizizz to keep track of each student’s responses by assigning Q-cards to every student
The cards can be assigned to an existing class, or you can create a Paper Mode Group on Quizizz
- Distribute the Q-cards to students in the selected order. You can edit the order on the game settings page before starting the activity
- The cards can be assigned to an existing class, or you can create a Paper Mode Group on Quizizz
- P.S. These Q-cards can be reused for every quiz that you host on Paper Mode!
Start the Quiz
- Click on 'Start Quiz' - this will trigger a notification on your mobile app to start the quiz
- Grant the app permission to access your camera. This is a one-time process
The question will be visible on the computer screen so students can view it. You can prompt students to raise their Q-cards with the correct answer option on top
If you assign Q-cards via a group or class, you will be able to see the names of your participants on your phone screen as you scan their responses
- If you assign Q-cards via a group or class, you will be able to see the names of your participants on your phone screen as you scan their responses
Ensure your students are holding the card upright to avoid missing any responses
- Like any other Quizizz quiz, you can view immediate results on the Quizizz leaderboard during the activity or receive a detailed report in your Reports section.
Note: For an in-depth guide on Paper Mode, refer to our article on Hosting a Quiz in Paper Mode.